- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced, (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tsps chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 32 oz low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Mash half of the beans in a bowl with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, usually about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, along with the tomatoes with the juice, and bring to a soft boil. Then add the mashed, and whole beans, along with the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
- Top with grated Parmesan, if so desired.